In these days of continued uncertainty and unknowing, anxiety grows and frustrations fester. Underlying the anxiety and frustration are questions of “why” and “when.” I submit we will never know meaningful answers to the “why?”; and any meaningful answer to the “when?” will not be soon enough. Therefore, I encourage us to reframe our current circumstances and ask a different question: What can I learn in these days of COVID-19? In answering this question, I offer the following, written by Bill Gates.
What is the Corona/ Covid-19 Virus Really Teaching us?
1) It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. This disease treats us all equally. If you don’t believe me, just ask Tom Hanks.
2) It is reminding us that we are all connected and something that affects one person has an effect on another. It is reminding us that the false borders that we have put up have little value as this virus does not need a passport. It is reminding us, by oppressing us for a short time, of those in this world whose whole life is spent in oppression.
3) It is reminding us of the shortness of life and of what is most important for us to do, which is to help each other, especially those who are old or sick. Our purpose is not to buy toilet rolls.
4) It is reminding us of how materialistic our society has become and how, when in times of difficulty, we remember that it’s the essentials that we need (food, water, medicine)as opposed to the luxuries that we sometimes unnecessarily give value to.
5) It is reminding us of how important our family and home life is and how much we have neglected this. It is forcing us back into our houses so we can rebuild them into our home and to strengthen our family unit.
6) It is reminding us that our true work is not our job, that is what we do, not what we were created to do. Our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other and to be of benefit to one another.
7) It is reminding us that the power of freewill is in our hands. We can choose to cooperate and help each other, to share, to give, to help and to support each other or we can choose to be selfish, to hoard, to look after only our self. Indeed, it is difficulties that bring out our true colors.
8) Whereas many see the Corona/ Covid-19 virus as a great disaster, I prefer to see it as a “great corrector.”
How would you add to the list? I too believe this is an opportunity for us to reset, renew, and restore. This is a time for us to take seriously God’s call to partner with God in God’s acts of new creation.