Wesley Education Center for Children and Families

Wesley Education Center for Children and Families (WEC), located in Avondale, is one of the ministry partners of Hyde Park Community United Methodist Church. In addition to receiving financial donations from the church, it has been supported in multiple ways by the Ruth UMW circle for many years.
Established in 1920, it is the oldest childcare facility of its kind in Cincinnati responding to the needs of poor, young working mothers living in the downtown area of Cincinnati. From its inception, quality early childhood education, optimal opportunities for growth and nutrition, and family support services were important at the center. Today, over forty infants and pre-kindergarten children are served at the center.

Through the years, Wesley has survived three moves, two major construction projects, four name changes, and constant state licensing and payment changes. The driving force behind its financial longevity has been the continued support of the United Methodist Women worldwide, and especially those who live in the Greater Cincinnati area.

Today, 98% of Wesley’s services are delivered to African American families who fall below the poverty guidelines. Because only 83% of Wesley’s operational budget is covered by client fees, government vouchers and subsidies, and the support of the national UMW, the remaining 17% of the budget must be raised by donations and through an annual fundraiser.

Wesley Education Center for Children and Families will hold its 11th annual “Circle of Care” dinner and silent auction on Thursday, April 23, 2015, at Twin Towers Senior Living Community (5343 Hamilton Avenue) in College Hill. Doors open at 6 pm. Dinner, prepared and donated by Outback Steakhouse, will be served at 7 pm, followed by silent bidding on auction items and a short program. All proceeds go toward Wesley’s operational budget.

How can you help?
1. Attend the dinner and auction! Contact Ann Flanagan (871-9536 or flan55@juno.com) or Peggy McDaniel (oldeagleeye@hotmail.com or 236-9362) for tickets, seating arrangements, cash donations, or more information on donating a silent auction item.
2. Participate in the AmazonSmile, Kroger Community Rewards, or Labels for Education programs.
3. Donate items such as diapers, wipes, and clean clothing into the plastic bin labeled “Wesley Education Center” in the closet opposite our church office.
4. In honor of Wesley’s 95th year, donations of $95 (or more) are being solicited to help Wesley continue to provide quality early childhood education. You may send a check to Wesley Education Center for Children and Families, 525 Hale Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229.

Peggy McDaniel

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Linkdin
Share on pinterest
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment