What is Summer Impact?
The heart behind the Summer Impact program is to provide mission experiences for youth and adults. Over the course of 6 weeks during the summer, teams (usually youth groups) from all over the country come to our campus to participate in a week long mission experience. Groups arrive on Sunday afternoons and bonding activities begin between teams and interns. Each team will be assigned an intern and given a serving schedule for the week. We spend Sunday getting to know one another, and getting to know the city – worshiping together and going on a prayer walk in Over-the-Rhine (OTR) downtown. Serving begins on Monday. Each day your team, including your assigned intern, will be assigned one (possibly two) ministry partners where you will serve for the day. Interns will partner with adult leaders of each team in guiding the teams to have a heart for service and look for serving opportunities each day.
The partners that we joined with last year were
- A camp run at Wesley Chapel Mission Center in OTR
- Lunch and fellowship with the women from Off the Streets and the Anna Louise Inn
- The summer camp at Stepping Stones
- Service work (cleaning, sorting, etc) and literacy program at Madisonville Education and Assistance Center
- Providing lunch and then hanging out with the residents at the Center for Respite Care
- Cleaning and organizing and/or going on the deliveries of furniture with New Life Furniture
- Creating the boxes for the Meals on Wheels program
- Cleaning and organizing at the Over-the-Rhine Community Church facility
- Serving and eating lunch with the Seniors at the Hyde Park Center for Older Adults
This year will run fairly similarly, though there may be some alterations, additions, or deletions depending on the needs of our ministry partners. Interns will have experience working with each of the ministry partners and will know more about what they do there and will be able to answer questions that your group may have (things like where is the bathroom, what kind of program to they run, what do we need to bring today, etc). Interns will serve alongside their team.
After serving each day we come back to the campus for showering, dinner, etc. Then we head out for worship (or on Wednesday – our team free night). We worship together and teams then have the remainder of the evening for free time (at the direction of your intern).
Come experience serving in the city alongside your friends! Growth and memories await!