What is Summer Impact?
What will the week look like?
Past local partners:
- A children's camp run at Wesley Chapel Mission Center in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood
- Lunch with the women from Off the Streets and the Anna Louise Inn
- The summer camp at Stepping Stones (serving people with disabilities)
- Service work (cleaning, sorting, etc) and literacy program at Madisonville Education and Assistance Center
- Providing lunch and spending time with the residents at the Center for Respite Care
- Serve with Discover Jubilee to rehab houses in order to provide safe, affordable housing in Cincinnati
- Cleaning and organizing and/or going on the deliveries of furniture with New Life Furniture
- Creating the boxes for the Meals on Wheels program
- Cleaning and organizing at the Over-the-Rhine Community Church facility
- Serving and eating lunch with the Seniors at the Hyde Park Center for Older Adults
This year will run similarly, though there may be alterations, additions, or deletions depending on the needs of our ministry partners. Interns will have experience working with each of the ministry partners. They will be knowledgable our partner's ministry and able to answer questions that your group may have (things like where is the bathroom, what kind of program do they run, what do we need to bring today, etc). Interns will serve alongside their team.
2019 Teaching Theme
The goal of the Rock of Ages teaching theme is to enjoy music as a way to express our faith and to be together in community. Music sounds nice. It's good background noise. But it's much more. People of the Bible used music as a tool to pray and an outlet for the whole spectrum of human emotion. This creative expression helps us emotionally and spiritually, gives us direction, and has the ability to articulate thoughts and feelings all while showing us that we aren't alone.
Believing that God is in all things, we will find sacred in the ordinary - exploring songs not traditionally found in the "Christian music" genre and how they can point us to God. The playlist will act as a soundtrack of the week and people will be invited to explore creative ways to connect with God through a variety of music genres.