Weddings at HPCUMC must be conducted by one of our ministers. The wedding liaison will invite a minister to officiate or will submit a request on your behalf. The officiating minister maintains ultimate responsibility for ensuring the solemnity of the service; he/she serves as your primary contact for service content.
A note about wedding planners: We appreciate the role that a professional coordinator plays in overseeing details on your behalf. However, he/she cannot interfere, direct, or dictate any aspect of the Sanctuary or Chapel service during the rehearsal or the wedding. Please reserve his/her services for other areas of your special day.
Required Counseling and Classes
All couples being married at HPCUMC are expected to attend designated counseling, classes and worship. We believe this better prepares you for marriage, facilitates relationships with other couples and equips you to live out your vows. Requirements are:
- A minimum of three one-hour sessions with the officiating minister. At the first session, you will get better acquainted and explore the nature of the wedding ceremony. You will also have two or more follow-up sessions to complete plans for your wedding ceremony.
- Weekly attendance at worship services—at the church of your choice—is also encouraged. If you do not have a church home, we invite you to attend HPCUMC’s Sanctuary services (Sundays 8:00; 9:30 and 11:00am.)
Wedding Decorations & Floral Arrangements for HPCUMC
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you plan the church decorations for your wedding:
- HPCUMC will provide white paraments (decorated coverings) for the altar, pulpit, and lectern.
- You may not cover or obscure the pulpit, lectern or altar with other decorations.
- No tacks, tape or nails may be fastened to any part of the Sanctuary or Chapel furnishings, including the pews and floors.
- Appropriate floral arrangements are permitted on the altar. The length of the Sanctuary altar is 90 inches; the length of the Chapel altar is 82 inches. Remember to allow space for the altar candles (and unity candle, if desired).
- Ferns may be placed by the altar rail.
- An aisle runner is available at the church. The length of the Sanctuary aisle is 98 feet, while the length of the Chapel aisle is 34 feet. Aisle runner is required if flower girl drops petals.
Selected wedding furnishings, altar candles and candelabra are available for your use.
Contact the wedding coordinator at (513) 979-8190 or email@example.com to reserve the following:
- Aisle candelabra and seven-branch candelabra
- Candles and holder for a Unity Candle Service, if desired.
- Two plant stands
For the florist:
It is not necessary to provide boutonnieres for the officiating minister and organist. Contact the wedding liaison to schedule a time to decorate and to notify the church if you plan to donate floral arrangements following the ceremony.
Dressing rooms are available for bridal party use.
All belongings MUST be removed from dressing room prior to ceremony. HPCUMC is not responsible for items left in the building before, during or after the ceremony.
Restricted Activities & Legal Requirements
Confetti, rice, or other material may not be thrown in the church or on the church grounds. Bubbles ONLY are permitted outside of the building.
The following activities are not permitted:
- NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE PERMITTED IN THE CHURCH BUILDING, ON THE GROUNDS, OR IN THE PARKING LOT.
- HPCUMC IS A SMOKE-FREE FACILITY. There is a smoking area at the rear of the building.
- Confetti, rice, or other material may not be thrown in the church or on the church grounds. On wet days, it creates a slipping hazard. It is also a cause for ecological concern. If you wish to practice this custom, we suggest you do so at your reception if it is held elsewhere. Bubbles ONLY are permitted outside of the building.
- No food or drink is permitted in dressing rooms.
- There are certain legal requirements that you must meet in order to be married at HPCUMC:
- In the State of Ohio, you must get a marriage license from the Probate Court. This must be accomplished a minimum of five (5) days in advance of the wedding.
- You must bring your marriage license to the minister or to the church office at least forty-eight (48) hours before the wedding.
- The minister will not be able to perform your wedding ceremony unless he/she has a valid Ohio marriage license in his or her possession.
Photography & Videography
Matrimony is a sacred occasion; flash photography is prohibited. Only dignified and unobtrusive professional photography and videography is allowed during the ceremony. Please ask your guests to refrain from photos until the service has ended.
A note to professional photographers and videographers:
- Pre-ceremony pictures may be taken forty-five minutes prior to the ceremony
- Post-ceremony pictures may be taken forty-five minutes following the ceremony
- Natural lighting—not flash—may be used from the balcony or rear of the Sanctuary or Chapel to capture images during the ceremony
- Appropriate attire should be worn
- It is the wedding party’s responsibility to communicate HPCUMC’s photography/videography policies to family, friends, and especially photographers.
If you have any questions about this policy contact our wedding liaison at (513) 979-8190 or firstname.lastname@example.org.